Saturday, September 5, 2009

Happy Fathers Day to Me

I was inspired by Not Drowning, Mothering and So Now What to do a bit of a Father's Day blog post. But one with a difference.

My daughter has only had one parent since she was born, and that would be me. Her SD (sperm donor) has had next to nothing to do with us since long before her birth, for reasons best known to himself.

Z's childcare and school know the score on this, so when it comes to the annual make-something-for-daddy time of year they gently guide Z towards completing the same arts'n'crafts project for me. Because I'm Mummy and Daddy.

I guess the purpose of this post is to thank them. I thank them for being sensitive enough to realise that she wants to make the same symbolic gifts as all the other children, and sensitive enough to know that she realises the score and wants to gift them to me.

To all of you, I thank you. Most of all, I thank my daughter for being the most amazingly together little chick on the planet, and for not holding it against me that she doesn't have a dad in her life.

It's his loss, honestly. Fortunately it's my gain.

Oh, and so far I've got a way cool keychain and something else Mysterious that I can't have until tomorrow morning...

And on another note, to my own Daddy, I miss you so much. I miss you every day. I miss your cheeky attitude, the fact that you were never wrong, your intelligence, your love and just your face. I love you.

STxxx

19 comments:

Liss said...

Oh that is lovely!!!

I grew up without my bio father for much of my life but I'm very lucky my Mum did marry a wonderful man who became my Dad (not in any STEP kind of way)... I think I'm lucky because, I've had a great example of how a relationship *should* work instead of what might have been disastrous should my bio father stuck around... made ME a better person. Only issue I do have is the whole confusion of identity at times even now, wondering how much of what I do/am is hereditary etc... but you take the good with the bad, and overall I think it worked out how it was meant to.

Happy Fathers' Day xxx

S3XinthePantry said...

I'm so glad that they do this!

Happy Fathers day to you!

:)

Unknown said...

Happy Father's Day to you, oh sparkly one. And how great that Z's teachers acknowledge that not all family structures these days are based on the traditional (and rather restrictive) nuclear family model. No daddy, two mummies, siblings old enough to be aunties... at the end of the day it's about a child being loved.

x

Joni said...

That's such a beautiful tribute. Your daughter is so lucky to have such an understanding mum (and carers!). Have a good Father's Day - well deserved!

ACTing Like A Mama said...

I have tears in my eyes, I think it is really lovely that z's school make a special effort to not exclude her or you from some of fun fathers day stuff. And I can feel your loss about your own dad. I hope you enjoy your mysterious gift today - Happy Fathers Day!

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Just beautiful x

Unknown said...

Happy Father's Day and Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Hope you'll stop by my blog and say hello; here's one of my favorite posts:

http://wrestlingretirement.blogspot.com/2009/08/welcome-to-torture-chamber.html

Sparkly Tiara said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments. Z proudly presented me with a laminated poem with her photo on one side and a footprint on the other. Too sweet!

Anonymous said...

happy fathers day!!!!

Your little Z is very lucky to have you.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! happy fathers Day=that is so awesome the school cares enough and actually knows the situation wow just wow

Anon said...

Awwwww! A poem! That's so wonderful, those are the best gifts! You sound like a wonderful wonderful Mum, no little one could wish for more.

Erin Bassett said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

What a great thing for her teachers to do!!

So Now What? said...

How cool is your kindy. I think though that Z is the major winner here. She's got you and that is obviously more than enough. Lovely post.

Aussie-waffler said...

Happy Parent Day to you indeed, what a lovely post and I hope you had a beautiful day.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post. I hope you had a wonderful day :)

JennyMac said...

Love this sweet and touching post.

Sassy Chica said...

What a lovely post!! Happy Fathers Day!! How comforting to know that the childcare and school you have chosen for your daughter understands her heart!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

Theta Mom said...

Very sweet and loveley post...just found you from Sassy Chica's blog and I am your most recent follower! :)

Cynthia said...

Awww...she is a lucky little girl to have you for a Mama:)

Post a Comment