Thursday, July 23, 2009

A lifetime love affair with Sci Fi!


I just love it. And no, I don't have a techy-sciency-geeky bone in my body (well, maybe a very teeny geek bone somewhere in my toe).

Here's the thing with sci fi. There are absolutely no boundaries on imagination. Writers can dream up absolutely anything and everything, not limited by all things earthbound. I love that. The zanier and less probable the better!

Give me 3 breasted blue chicken-footed godesses from the planet Arzabon, whose sole purpose in life is to lay pink eggs. Excellent! OK, so that's a bit far-fetched, but why not?

I was lucky enough to have a Dad who was quite into the original Star Trek TV series, so started pretty young, and I vividly remember being taken to see Star Wars when I was about 6 or 7 years old, during a time of civil unrest when most of the town was boarded up!

In the 70's and 80's my mother went through a phase of being rather hooked on Battlestar Galactica and... and, oh yes, Buck Rogers (phwaaar!). I think she had more of a crush on Lorne Green, though, and my younger sister thought that Erin chick from Buck Rogers was the bee's knees!

Since then, I've tended to stick with the various Star Trek series, although Enterprise just didn't do it for me, and my more recent addictions to Stargate SG1 and Atlantis. I was not impressed with the last 3 Star Wars additions, sorry. They just didn't have the *wow* factor the original 3 did. Way OTT on the CGI, if you ask me (which, admittedly, no one did).

My lovely offspring seem to have inherited the hankering as well. Actually, they probably have had little say in that, as they have been exposed to it since floating happily in the womb! Apart from one rather disturbing incident when my then-8 year old happened to catch a full-frontal nudity scene in Stargate SG1 (I didn't know he was watching - HONEST) I've found it to be kind of all-ages friendly. Sure, there are rating-nazi-parents out there who would vow that I'm condemning my children to hell and damnation, but all I say to them is "meh". My kids, my choice!

Why this post today? Well, it's all basically in honour of the DVD release of Stargate Atlantis Season 5, taking place exactly 6 days from now. Yes, I am that sad, and yes, I shall be stalking my local DVD shop at opening time...

Come on, admit it, who hasn't looked up into the big wide starry night sky and wondered what was out there?

Rock on 29 July!!

STxxx

0 comments:

Post a Comment